April 7, 2019Uncategorized
- This specialty deals with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the diseases of the gum and bone structures surrounding the teeth.
- Most gum diseases are related to poor oral hygiene practices and/or unhealthy habits (like smoking) that result in the accumulation of plaque and tartar around the teeth. These accumulations are loaded with micro-organisms that harm the gum tissues with their excretions of harmful toxins, causing gum inflammation and bone resorption.
- In such cases, the most alarming concern is that all along, this harmful destructive process works in complete silence and goes undetected until it reaches advanced stages or in the best case scenario it is found through a dental check-up.
- Periodontal diseases, when left untreated, can destroy the bone and supporting tissues leading ultimately to the loss of teeth.
- Periodontal disease can often be treated at its early stages with a cleaning treatment called scaling and root planning. This procedure removes plaque and tartar from beneath the gums and leaves roots surfaces smooth for the surrounding gum to be able to reattach itself and firmly anchors the tooth to the bone.
- Without scaling and root planning, bacteria will continue to harbor, and the destruction of the supporting tissue and bone will continue. Eventually teeth will become loose and tooth loss can occur.
- In order to perform this procedure, your gums will be numbed.
- Root planning involves scraping and smoothing the exposed root surfaces of the teeth. Gum tissue firmly reattaches to roots that are clean and smooth.
- The healing process will take a few weeks, during which you must follow your dentist’s recommendations regarding proper dental care and oral hygiene.
- know more about Laser treatment for a gummy smile.